This is the most basic drill to get young athletes comfortable with passing and trapping:
1) Have two players stand between 5 and 10 yards apart (depending on age of players) with one soccer ball;
2) After the basic instruction of passing and trapping has been demonstrated, have the players pass back and forth for about 3 minutes, working on hitting solid ground passes, trapping the ball and then hitting a pass back;
3) After 3 minutes, have the players
move back 3 steps and proceed with (#2) again.
4) Keep moving the players back
until they reach their maximum passing range (between 10-20 yards depending on
5) Proceed to move the players
closer together again until they reach the 10 yard distance again.
6) Each distance should be practiced for 3 minutes, which will make this drill last somewhere between 12-15 minutes.